December 19, 2011

Holiday Treat...Stained Glass Candy!!!

Stained glass candy has always been a classic Christmas candy when I was growing up. I can remember when I was little my mom would make it and let me break the candy when it was done! So fun!! I wanted to share with you the recipe we used. This is a super fun treat to make for this time of year!! 

What You Will Need:
3 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. white corn syrup
1 tsp flavoring extract (I like to use peppermint and cinnamon this time of year!)
food coloring of your choice! Im going to use red!!
Small bit of powdered sugar




Directions:


1. Combine regular sugar, white corn syrup, and water in a heavy saucepan and heat on hi until your candy thermometer reads 310 degrees F. You will need to stir very frequently throughout this process. The mixture will bubble so be careful!! When the thermometer reads 310 degrees F, add flavoring and food coloring and stir.


2. Poor candy mixture onto a greased baking sheet. You will have to be quick because the candy tends to dry super fast!! 


3. Place candy sheet into the refrigerator and let set for about 45 minutes to an hour. Keep in mind the candy sheet is very hot so use an oven mitt when placing in fridge. 


4. After candy sheet cools take a metal spoon and break the candy into pieces (like a stained glass window!). 


5. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar over them and serve!! They make a great center piece for a table...


Or wrap them in little bags and hand them out as gifts or stocking stuffers!! 

I hope you all enjoyed my stained glass candy!! What holiday treats do you like to make? Feel free to post pictures of what you made to my Facebook page!!!  

Thanks for stoping by!!

xo Emily

Check this post out on the Today's Creative Blog!!























1 comment: