March 25, 2014

Do it Yourself // Hanging Plant Holder

A few months back my Mom mailed me a few vintage hanging plant holders that belonged to my great grandma and they inspired me to create something unique and springy for our kitchen. Here is my little twist on hanging plant holders. This is a little do it yourself project that can be easily completed in an afternoon!!

What you will need:
Yarn 
Plant
Metal Hook
Scissors
How To:
1. First you will want to cut you yarn. I wanted mine pretty thick so I cut quite a few strings at about 4ft. 
2. Next tie the top of your yarn.. This will be the bottom part of the hanger so be sure to tie a nice tough knot. 
3. Section off your yarn and braid it into three pieces. My braids are about 1/4 of an inch thick which was perfect thickness for the pot I was using. 
4. After braiding your strands, tie a knot at each end then gather the three braids and tie together (see picture). Trim holder if its a little long and tie a loop at the end. This will be how you hang the holder so be sure it's nice and tight! 
5. Secure hook to the ceiling and hang your holder without the plant in it. Next place your plant in the holder adjusting the braided pieces around it.. Make sure the plant is secure. 

This hanging plant holder is super easy to make and can be made from a variety of different materials... yarn, rope, hemp, ect. You can also make these holders larger or smaller depending on the size of plant you are hanging. I decided to hang a succulent in mine. I've been a bit obsessed with them here lately. They are seriously such a perfect plant and hard to kill! 

I hope you all enjoyed this easy DIY project! If you decide to make a plant hanger of your own I would love to see it! I adore seeing your EE inspired projects! 

Happy Hump Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment