July 24, 2014

DIY CACTUS PILLOW

So I'm totally on the cactus trend bandwagon this year and quite obsessed with them. Living out here in the High Desert totally fuels that obsession as well. I literally see them everywhere I go... And I love it! I had added a few desert inspired touches to Asher room and was on the hunt for a cactus pillow. Of course I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for... When I was home on my little vacation I was checking out some old quilts, that my grandma had, that were bind together with yarn and a light bulb totally went off in my head. This pattern I created is super easy to follow. Trust me.. I still consider myself a beginner in the sewing department.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
sewing machine
1/2 yd. Fabric (washed, I always wash my fabric prior to using it)
1 yd. Yarn
thread (same color as fabric or close in color) 
needle (large enough to thread yarn thru) 
scissors 
stuffing (you can find it at any craft store and even Walmart)
cardboard or something to create you pattern with 
pencil
iron
pins

You will want to create a pattern to the desired size and shape of cactus you are wanting. I did the basic cactus shape and basically free handed my drawing onto a manila folder. The folder was a perfect height for the size of pillow that I was going for. If you are having trouble drawing a cactus I recommend that you view this tutorial HERE
Next you will want to pin you pattern down onto your fabric and cut around it. If tracing your pattern is easier, feel free to trace your pattern onto your fabric. 
Be sure to secure your pins before cutting!
Now you should have something that looks like this... If the edges aren't perfect don't worry. You will sew about 1/4 of an inch in so they won't be seen!
Next you will want to pin your fabric so it stays in place when sewing and sew around the entire perimeter of the cactus leaving a small opening at the "stem" where you will insert your stuffing. Be sure to sew 1/4 of an inch in using a basic stitch. 
Your cactus should now look something like this... 
Trim any threads and turn your cactus inside out so the seams are hidden. 
Give the cactus a good ironing and begin stuffing your cactus. You will want the cactus to be pretty firm so put plenty of stuffing in it. And remember a little goes a long way with stuffing! 
After you stuff the cactus, sew up the bottom of the cactus. You can either hand stitch the bottom or run it under your machine like I did... Probably not the prettiest finish, but it will do.
Lastly you are going to want to create your "thorns" for your cactus. To do this you will need to thread a needle with a small piece of yarn (maybe 4in or so) thru the fabric. Leave a small amount of fabric between the holes (shown above) because you are going to tie the yarn in a double knot. 
Repeat this step for the entire cactus until you have the amount of "thorns" you want for your cactus. 
And that's it! Pretty easy huh!? Now it's time to show off your hard work! ;) 

What do you think? Do you like this DIY cactus pillow? Are you as crazy about cactuses as I am? If you try this project out I would love to see it! Tag me on IG #everythingemilyblog or feel free to email me a photo of your finished product! 

Happy Friday Loves!

XO!

Emily










No comments:

Post a Comment