July 27, 2014

NURSING: TODDLER YEARS

22 months ago I would have never imagined that Asher would have breastfed this long. Hell I thought 6 months was going to be an obstacle to reach. I'm so proud of myself and my body for giving me the ability to nourish Asher this long, but with him turning 2 in a few short months, I've decided it's time to start weaning....

Making the decision to wean Asher hasn't been an easy one.. I feel like I've done a pretty good job at making it this far and truthfully I'm ready to have "my girls" back. That may seem selfish of myself to some, but I think we all experience our own "mama" obstacles that we have to face. Nursing has been such an incredible experience and I wouldn't change it for anything. 
We've started off by taking baby steps at this whole weaning process. Asher eats 3 meals, 2 snacks, and drinks whole milk throughout the day so I know he is getting plenty to eat. At night we have our usual evening routine and Asher goes to bed, without nursing, like a champ. Our biggest obstacle is the middle of the night. Asher usually wakes up around 3-4 A.M. and won't go back to sleep without nursing. I will usually get up and nurse him back to sleep. I've tried other things to get him back to sleep and even my husband attending to him instead of myself, but the child puts up one hell of a fight... and at 4 A.M. we are both to sleepy to fight with him. Occasionally he will ask to nurse throughout the day and instead of giving in, I've been offering him other snacks and trying to turn his attention to other things... 

I never imagined when I started nursing him that weaning would be the issue I had to face. I'm so blessed to have been able to nurse Asher into his toddler years. I feel like weaning wasn't really something anyone ever mentioned to me or how hard it would be... I mean it seemed like everyone gave me advice on nursing related issues, but weaning was never one of them. I'm hoping that this process will go smoothly and be an easy transition for the both of us. 

If any of you have any advice/tips, I would love to hear them! XO!


No comments:

Post a Comment